market-farming - RE: flea beetles

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: flea beetles
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 07:40:39 -0500

At a session at SSAWG this year, Dr. Richard McDonald talked about using
beneficial nematodes - especially for salad greens (mesclun, etc) that
cannot be grown otherwise. He specified the Hb strain, which are "cruisers"
(go looking for prey) as opposed to "ambushers"(which lie in wait). I
believe they applied them using the irrigation system. Here's his website:
http://www.drmcbug.com/ From what he said, they have decreased in price
enough to be a very economical way to control flea beetles.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm