market-farming - Job Opening in Austin, Texas

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Terri Buchanan" <acg AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Job Opening in Austin, Texas
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 15:47:29 -0500

I am working with the Search Committee to find someone to fill the job I had
to recently leave because of an ill parent. The Sustainable Food Center is
a wonderful organization to work for. Please pass the job posting along to
anyone you think might be interested.

Thanks,

Terri Buchanan
Volunteer for the Sustainable Food Center

********POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT***************

Executive Director
Sustainable Food Center
Austin, Texas

The Sustainable Food Center seeks candidates for the position of Executive
Director. We are a nationally recognized leader in developing innovative
strategies to create a food-secure community by improving access to
affordable, local, and healthy food for children and adults in Central
Texas, particularly in those areas of the community where access is most
limited. This position represents an exciting opportunity for a passionate,
energetic leader to continue to develop the organization as a leading-edge
service and policy resource to the Central Texas community, as well as
enhance the national food security fabric.

SFC works in partnership with other community organizations to promote
strategies that strengthen the capacity of small family farmers and empower
local communities. In addition, our work comprehensively addresses hunger
and diet-related health problems with prevention oriented programs that
currently include four cornerstone services:

1) Growing Food: Community gardens and youth gardening education that
reaches 7,000 people annually;
2) Preparing and Eating Healthy Food: The Happy Kitchen/La Cocina Alegre
cooking and food school serving more than 1,600 individuals and their
families in the past several years. Now embarking on a train-the-trainer
program model.
3) Marketing and Distributing Food: Urban agriculture demonstrations, plant
and seed distribution, and farmers' markets. More than 3,000 people benefit
from our farm stand network in under-served areas, an annual benefit plant
sale and a food bank garden.
4) Supporting a Local Food System: We advocate for and promote increased
knowledge about local, fresh food through a local food guide, a public
discussion series, collaboration with community partners, and public policy
advocacy.

SFC is leading a Farmers' Market Initiative that seeks to develop a vibrant
city-centered destination Farmers' Market serving Austinites and Central
Texans alike. This is an exciting, highly visible project that has been
extremely well received by many important constituents in the community and
presents a significant opportunity to enhance the awareness and credibility
of the organization.

The Executive Director's responsibilities will include, among others, the
following:

· Inspire and lead a team of 8-12 staff members
· Provide strategic direction to staff on organizational and program
development
· Work to both enhance and leverage the Board of Directors' skills and
efforts to the greatest benefit of the organization
· Build upon the established web of collaborative relationships with local
and national strategic partners to further the mission of the organization
· Represent the organization professionally and persuasively to funders,
government agencies, the non-profit community and other key stakeholders
· Supervise the development and execution of Strategic Communications and
Development plans

The ideal candidates will possess:

· Passion for issues related to food security and formal knowledge or
background, either academic and/or professional, of these and related issues
· Relevant management experience
· Successful fundraising track record
· Strong public speaking skills
· Excellent writing skills
· Strong technology literacy
· Demonstrated cross-cultural sensitivity
· Spanish-language skills (preferred)

Send resume and cover letter to:

Search Committee
Sustainable Food Center
e-mail: suzannesfc AT aol.com
Fax: 512/236-0098

  • Job Opening in Austin, Texas, Terri Buchanan, 04/08/2002