market-farming - RE: Post dereg of the Dairy biz in Australia - Part 2

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Post dereg of the Dairy biz in Australia - Part 2
  • Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:56:11 EDT

In a message dated 4/7/02 5:27:40 PM Central Daylight Time, jgj23 AT mindspring.com writes:

Why should farmers think that anyone in the government cares about them

One thing that you left out Jay!  Everything that you do on the farm is tied to the 95 farm bill,  jou have to have federal crop Insurance that is tied to the program before you can obtain a operating loan and in order to be in the progam you have to be in compliance of the siol conservation service plan for your farm which on mine called for 42 acres of strips,borders, headland, and terreces.  This is taking 20% of my farm out of production so I would be able to recieve a (carrot) subsidy of $1600 appox., however the federal crop insurance was costing us $4200 a year for 60% coverage.  When a big operator is farming your place, the same rules do not apply.  They can and do what they want , and when I went to the Siol Conservation Service to compalin about all my broders being plowed up , strips that were plowed up, and all the head lands being farmed, their coment to me was " Well do body has complained to me about any of his farm practices".  Needless to say this individual is or longer in our office,nor is this tenant on my land, and it took me 4 years to get him off our land and a lot of attorney fees to get done, large Corporations has was to muddy the waters of a standard contract and tie things up for along time,standard eviction notices don't always work.

Phil from Iowa.