market-farming - Re: dryer for bulk herbs

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Laurie Hodges <lhodges1 AT unl.edu>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.metalab.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: dryer for bulk herbs
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:16:52 -0600

I have seen peanut drying wagons used to dry herbs in Oklahoma. Need to have dry wind to be most effective I'd guess. Maybe something in Mississippi comparable. What is used to cure sweet potatoes?

A rotating dryer would be better than the peanut wagon to reduce compaction of green material and subsequent rot. Small farmers have considered (and it may work--I don't know) using a corn drying bin with wire racks fitted and suspended as layers of shelving. More manual work involved but readily available in the grain belt.