market-farming - Re: lettuce in Ice water was re bunching chard

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: lettuce in Ice water was re bunching chard
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 07:50:01 -0800

How much water is actually in the cooler, is the lettuce right in the
water? (And, is everyone doing this?)

Hi Alan - we use this method as well, but we transfer our lettuce to bus bins for display when we get to market. We put chipped ice and water into the bottom of the bus bin and cover with a white cotton cloth (found the cloth kept the ice longer in the hot temps) then add our bagged lettuce to the bin - the water does get up around the bags and we drain them as much as possible and put into a shopping bag for the customer after a sale. We keep adding lettuce and ice from coolers as the stock goes down. So far the lettuce has maintained even to the next day when we sell it cheap at the farm as a "previous days pick". If you're late getting up the next day it's nice to have something ready to put out - even if it was yesterday's pick ;<) Jacqueline

  • Re: lettuce in Ice water was re bunching chard, Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai, 01/24/2002