market-farming - Re: Perilla

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Perilla
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:59:42 -0600

We call it rattlesnake weed here. It is naturalized in a lot of places
around the farm. If you let it go to seed and walk through it in the fall,
you'll know why the common name. I agree about the taste - not my cup of
tea.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

> ----------
> From: Alliums[SMTP:garlicgrower AT snip.net]
>
> Adriana wrote:
>
> >There is green perilla and red perilla. As best I could tell from
> >on-line research the green is used more commonly as a food ingredient,
> >whereas the red is used for coloring and some pickling.
>
> >The flavor is
> >very particular; people love it or hate it. I'm in the second camp;
> >to me it tastes like chinch bug.
>
> Now

  • Perilla, gutierrez-lagatta, 01/16/2002
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Perilla, Alliums, 01/16/2002
    • Re: Perilla, Wiediger, Alison, 01/16/2002
    • Re: Perilla, Liz Pike, 01/16/2002