market-farming - Re: hello

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "William McKay" <bmckay55 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: hello
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 10:23:07

Jeanine

"I dont grow those potatoes" but my brother the organic grower does; he has a small retail outlet at his farm and they do quite well there.Customers like them; they are pretty hard to find anywhere, even in the high end stores like Bread & Circus.

By the way. Jeanine, your marketing skills seem pretty sharp; I suspect if you think it will work, that is because you have done your homework and it probably will work.

Also, for what it is worth, the state AG folks are pushing small scale local growers to get involved in the ethnic market which is poorly served. They are recommending they focus on growing things preferred by the hispanic and asian communities (mostly laotians & cambodians around here), stuff like latin american squashes, puerto rican oregano (I think it is called), asian vegetables, etc.

Regards

Bill McKay in E. Massachusetts and www.growitalian.com Distributor of Italian Vegetable Seeds from Franchi Sementi, spa, Bergamo, Italy. Seedsmen since 1783.

I will stop rambling on now, and look forward to any response about my post, even if its just a quick, "I don't grow those potatoes."<BR>
<BR>
Thanks for reading,<BR>
Jeanine Fore<BR>

  • Hello, Jeanine4, 01/12/2002