market-farming - Re: Farmers' Market start-up

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Jim and Julie Vaughn <jjvaughn AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Farmers' Market start-up
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 08:12:40 -0600

Marcie,

Thanks so much for your response.

Here's our current status: 4 growers have met several times about the
market. One has multi- year, multi- market experience, one has one year
experience at FM (Rocky Glade Farm), and two have not sold at a FM
before, but have CSA and restaurant sales experience. The owner of the
shed really wants a FM there to add to his diverse mix on the site, but
does not have much time to spend on setting the market up or much
experience of the mechanics of a market. Feb 19 will be the first real
gauge of support from other growers in the area and will really determine
whether we have enough support to open the market this year.

On the reselling question: the market will be limited to growers only
with value-added products allowed, but it is being proposed that you be
allowed to sell 25% from other farmers. As difficult as it is to limit
peddlers in a growers-only market, this seems like it would open the door
to peddlers, especially since we will not have a paid manager the first
season. The purpose of the 25% reselling clause was to allow small
vendors to increase their volume.

For value added products, it is proposed that the grower produce 75% of
the ingredients. Is this a normal requirement at other markets? Or are
most products allowed if the vendor does the processing regardless of the
ingredient source.

Rocky Glade Farm
Jim & Julie Vaughn
Eagleville, TN