market-farming - produce boxes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'market farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: produce boxes
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 12:41:58 -0600

Okay folks. I've spent some time today looking for sources for new produce
boxes. Nothing fancy, just standard 1 or 1 1/9 bushel waxed cartons and
tomato boxes. I have yet to find an outlet with affordable boxes that can
be bought by 50 or 100 boxes rather than a pallet or truckload. Since we
mostly do farmers' market, and re-use ours until they fall apart, we don't
need 1000's or even 100's each season. Where do you small market growers
purchase small lots of standard produce boxes ?

Alternatively, if we can't find a supplier of small lots at a decent price,
how many live close enough to us to be able to buy together ? We are
willing to put the order together and take delivery. To determine proximity,
we are about 1.5 hours north of Nashville, TN, 1.5 hours south of
Louisville, KY, 30 minutes east of Bowling Green KY. Let us know if you're
interested and if there are enough, we'll put together a list.

Don't know about the rest of you, but our season has started (well, it never
really ends). Seeded early herbs this week, hoophouse tomatoes in about 10
days! Spring will be here before we know it. I've already had enough of
winter (all two weeks of it!)

Alison Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com