market-farming - Re: market-farming digest: December 15, 2001

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "jay gee" <jgj23 AT mindspring.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: market-farming digest: December 15, 2001
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:23:35 +0000

Hi Beth,

>>Jay wrote: If your customers do not understand the differences between the
>>new
>>and old "o," you are much more likely to lose business when local
>>supermarkets start selling "organic" produce that really doesn't cut it.

>I am not sure I understand what the difference is,how would I explain
>to a customer the "difference" between the old and new and what
>that means for them buying in a grocery store. Thanks Beth

Wish I could be more help but I only am aware of differences between
the old and new "O's" in terms of what has been discussed on this list.
>From what I can tell, the USDA has adopted a somewhat more relaxed
definition of the term than what organic growers associations may
have allowed in the past, for the express purpose of favoring major
food processors and big agribusiness.

Those of you subscribing to the list who have followed or studied old
practices and procedures, then studied the new laws as promulgated
by the USDA are probably in a better position to define or elaborate on
specifics.

Maybe your doing so would help Beth and others of us understand
more.

Thanks,

Jay Gee
not a farmer -- but interested in farming