market-farming - Re: Thornless Blackberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: mckemie AT austinfarm.org
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Thornless Blackberries
  • Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 08:48:17 -0600

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 07:49:59AM -0600, Robert W Arnold wrote:
> I am looking into planting some thornless blackberries this spring. If
> anyone knows where any information is I would really appreciate it.
> Marianna, FL 32448

If you are in Florida, you might not be able to find suitable thornless
varieties. Your best bet might be Arkansas varieties:
http://www.uark.edu/ArkHort
though I couldn't get that link to work this morning.
Or maybe:
http://www.aragriculture.org/commhort/default.asp

Navaho and Arapaho need more than my 600 chilling hours. I don't yet
know about Apache.

For thorny varieties, probably the Texas varieties would be your best
bet: Brazos, Rosoborough, Brison, Womack.

How far north is Marianna? What chilling do you get? If you have any
Florida varieties, please tell us about them.

--
Willie Onward! Through the Fog! http://austinfarm.org/homegrown
Are YOU an html abuser? http://www.expita.com/nomime.html