market-farming - RE: Hoophouses/Bill Shoemaker

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sunnfarm AT netscape.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: RE: Hoophouses/Bill Shoemaker
  • Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 10:35:21 -0500

Before you look for funding check out Rutgers,they did extensive heated high
tunnel demo's in the late 80's, they built two 20x100 houses with raised
fumigated beds of sand with hot water pipes under them connected to two 100
gallon gas hot water heaters,the houses were designed to produce homegrown
bare root field transplants, its become an off the shelf technology and there
use is common with growers around here, I have a 700 sq ft bench top system
that works well for starting seedlings,it costs me almost $3000 to install,
prices vary depending on the type of tubing and heaters you use,
but the heating the tunnel floor its more cost effective to operate than over
head hot air heat.

BTW...A heated hoophouse is too valuable for growing winter vegies...Bob.
Sunny Meadow Farm
Bridgeton, NJ.

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience
the convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape!
http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/