market-farming - Re: Where is everyone

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Lucy Owsley <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Where is everyone
  • Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 04:06:52 -0400

We have had several frosts but are still getting late cukes out of a
hoophouse. The late tomatoes were killed the other night when after a 36
hour big wind the cheapo hoophouse lost its' plastic (it pulled right
out of the ground but fortunately didn't go any where) exposing the
tomatoes to the cold wind. C'est la vie. It's okay on the maters as all
the markets are over for the most part.

We also have salad things growing under row cover though the cutting mix
seems about over for the fall.

We have lots of rye and mustard planted for winter cover. man, mustard
makes for a green farm-it's big and beautiful. We are using some to
supplement the chickens food, they LOVE mustard greens. I believe this
is the first time in 8 years we actually got most of the garden planted
in cover crops.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH

Looking for a CSA, Farmer's market or other venue for fresh local food?
Check out
http://www.localharvest.com

It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong

Voltaire (1694-1778)