market-farming - Re: quince

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: quince
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:50:44 -0700

David - You sound like the perfect candidate to become a member of a new branch of the Secret Society - the SQS (Secret Quince Society) shhh! No one even knows of its existance.

Now onto some not so secretive stuff. I thought I would share something that I had learned this year - you may already know of it. The forums for chefs and those who just really enjoy the culinary arts is an excellent place for finding a market for those specialty items. I found a market there to sell our Schatten Morello's for $4.00/lb. We sold out again this year - but it was a tough sell as many don't know what to do with them - unfortunately we found the $4/lb customers when our crop was gone. The quince trees above the property we farmed produces heavy yields - it would be a shame to lose even one of those fruits to due to a lack of customers. Good luck with your crops, Jacqueline