market-farming - Re: "Martin's Wonder" Lima Beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ted Patterson <patters AT erols.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Cc: gleneco1 AT juno.com
  • Subject: Re: "Martin's Wonder" Lima Beans
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 09:06:17 -0400

Rohrer Seeds
P.O. Box 250
Smoketown, PA 17576
717-299-2571

Marlin, I wonder if those limas are actually Dr. Martin's, a favorite pole
lima here in SE Pennsylvania (and listed in the Rohrer's catalog).
Folks offering the Dr. Martin's in the Seed Savers Exchange say the bean
needs a long, hot season.
Rohrers catalog includes heirloom varieties obtained in cooperation with
the Landis Valley farm museum association, just north of Lancaster.
Let us know the results of your seed detective work.
-Ted

At 6:03 PM -0400 9/27/01, Marlin L Burkholder wrote:
>Last year I noticed some interesting lima beans growing in the garden of
>one of the old order Mennonite families living near us....[snip]
>I asked several persons about seed sources and one mentioned a family
>owned company named "Rohrer's" located in the Lancaster County PA area
>but couldn't supply a more definate address. Apparently this company
>carries a number of heirloom varieties of vegetables passed around among
>Mennonite and Amish in that area. I would like to get my hands on a copy
>of their catalog or possibly a mailing address if anyone has it.

  • "Martin's Wonder" Lima Beans, Marlin L Burkholder, 09/27/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: "Martin's Wonder" Lima Beans, Ted Patterson, 09/28/2001