market-farming - Re: Noam Chomsky

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: marc AT aculink.net
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Noam Chomsky
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:17:04 -0600

I'll give out one of many secrets of the trade.

In all great and small drama there are a dozen or two plots.
There can be no more. We mix and match. No matter how we sew
the quilt, whether reality or fiction, there are only a
limited number of plots that can exist.

We have organizations. The organizations are based on
foundations. The foundations define the character of the
organizations and the people therein. There can be only a
limited number of foundations since the number of plots is
finite no matter how you mix and match.

A classic case is the virus warnings that include Intel or
Microsoft or CNN as the source of information. The
foundations of those organizations either do not support
things that lead to the reporting of viruses. The hoax
pattern is self evident.

So it goes with statements. After one realizes that
EVERYTHING IS A METAPHOR and that THERE CAN BE ONLY A
LIMITED NUMBER OF PLOTS the world ceases to be so mysterious
as to why certain things are inevitable and history repeats.

In order to "think out of the box" the box has to allow it.
"The box" is in control - not the people. People did not
define "the box" physics, God, Allah, The Great Spirit, The
God Force, etc. etc. did. All efforts to communicate are
actually using metaphors to describe this universal "BOX" we
are in.

We can do two things with a metaphor. We can mature, grow
up, give up Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny, transcend,
etc. or we can concretize metaphors to give us the illusion
of being in control.