market-farming - Re: Bomb them with butter, bribe them with hope.

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ron Malor <rmalor AT bigpond.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bomb them with butter, bribe them with hope.
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 08:59:04 +1000

Hi Group,

Well it's refreshing to hear views like this coming out of the US after the recent very tragic events. Positively bloody enlightened. However won't work. Reasons:

1. Lousy TV. Dropping a 1000 kg of butter on Afganistan isn't nearly as spectacular on the evening news as a laser guided bomb.
2. Wouldn't satisfy those in various influential circles whose testosterone levels subscribe to "I love the smell of napalm in the morning".
3. The profit margin for those who manufacture military hardware would, I suspect, be a lot less for dropping a 1000 kg load of butter (hopefully with a parachute) that a 1000 kg all singing, all dancing laser guided bomb.

Marcie's comments pleasingly indicate (to us non US people) that rational and far sighted thought can occur over there. Whether it can influence anything is, of course, another matter.

By the way, I must have blinked because I just can't recall seeing any UN debate or Security Council resolutions on this. Did I miss it??

Ron Malor

'Redbank Grazing'
Mole Creek
Northern Tasmania

  • Re: Bomb them with butter, bribe them with hope., Ron Malor, 09/20/2001