market-farming - Big Corporation Sprouts Linked to Deadly Infection

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Lion Kuntz" <lionkuntz AT email.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Big Corporation Sprouts Linked to Deadly Infection
  • Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 00:24:25 +0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Mmneedham AT aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2001 11:12:13 EDT
To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
Subject: [market-farming] Re: market-farming Sprouts Linked to Deadly
Infection

> In a message dated 08/27/2001 11:05:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> lionkuntz AT email.com writes:
>

> > somebody is reporting that half or more of all food poisoning in
> > California
> > is caused by non-host plants whom have no colon at all.
> >

> I don't know about the half or more part of this statement, but you don't
> have to have a colon to get contaminated with E. coli and if you do get
> contaminated and someone with a colon ingests you, it can mean big trouble
> for them...
>
> Marj

I certainly agree with you, Marj, but E.Coli is adapted to be a
semi-benign animal parasite, with a recent deadly mutant variation (e.coli
H7:0157) and survives poorly outside of animal digestive tracts. A healthy
adult human has two pounds of e.coli living in their guts. How the organism
can migrate from soil to inside developing seed is not discussed in the scare
propaganda posing as "news".

The CENTER for DISEASE CONTROL website page I cited clearly states that
e.coli has been confirmed transmitted on lettuce and sprouts, as well as
swimming pool water, day care centers, beauty parlors, etc. Tracking down
tens of thousands of cases have revealed that the principle vectors of
infection spread are 90% traced to undercooked beef and dairy products. It is
hard to believe that suddenly a couple of obscure researchers have now traced
more than half of all confirmed cases to sprouts and lettuce in California,
especially since they do not have the staff and laboratory resources of the
CDC. E.Coli H7:0157 is extremely difficult to detect, and most laboratories
are not equipped to detect it in the low levels in which it exists. Tests
require 500 or more living cells, and the organism can fell a healthy adult
man with as few as 10 cells. Children and elderly can be stricken down with
less.

This has the appearance of being misinformation warfare by those profiting
from the demise of small agriculture. Sprouts and salad mix represent
labor-intensive high-profit specialty items using small land investments, and
have been a successful niche market for small growers with minimal capital
investments. Driving off their customers, to ruin these small growers, with
false information and irresponsible circulation of unfounded allegations is
evil, pure and simple.

I provided vermicomposting and Hydrogen-Peroxide links which inform people
how to use best-management standards to negate risk factors from entering the
food stream. This is a lead-by-example demonstration of responsible reporting
as opposed to the no-holds-barred to-the-death struggle by those already
controlling 40% of global resources to increase the size of their ownership
regardless of the pain they cause.

Using best-management practices to protect the food-stream integrity is a
routinely adopted duty of moral and ethical people. Corporations (by legal
definition "immoral") using underpaid labor are more likely to get
contaminated by improper sick employee toilet sanitary procedures
contaminating their sprout/lettuce streams than well-paid small growers whom
have no employees, or whom are present regularly to oversee every aspect of
employee hygiene and food handling. The article circulated on Market-Farming
had a title "market farming Sprouts Linked to Deadly Infection" but the ABC
cited article had nothing to say about the size scale of the infection
sources. If one is purely guessing, then the odds are overwhelming that "Big
Corporation Sprouts Linked to Deadly Infection" is a more correct title for
this thread.

Sincerely, Lion Kuntz
Tenino, Washington, USA

  • Big Corporation Sprouts Linked to Deadly Infection, Lion Kuntz, 08/27/2001