market-farming - Re: Saving seeds from Sugar Babies

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Alliums <garlicgrower AT snip.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Saving seeds from Sugar Babies
  • Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 20:13:11 -0400

Amy wrote:

>Can anyone verify
>if I can save seed from my Sugar Babies and have them breed true for next
>year? I did have other watermelons close to them but I think these were
>done blooming before the others. Does it matter in watermelons?

All Cucucbits have to be caged to be absolutely sure that they have bred
true -- the distance requirements in Seed to Seed is measured in HALF
MILES!!!!.

Now, it all depends on just how true you want your seeds to be. I have let
volunteer winter squash go each year and only two years ago did I get an
interesting cross (between an neck pumpkin and a butternut -- hugest
butternut I ever saw, but unfortunately, it didn't ripen before frost) --
the butternuts just keep making new butternuts no matter what I've grown
them with. But I wouldn't offer the seed through Seed Savers Exchange even
though it usually works out for me.

I do have two watermelon plants that have been tougher than nails this year
-- I'm planning to save the seeds next year and see what I come up with --
lots of folks at the community garden plant watermelon, so I can't be sure
it's pure, but I've got the space just to do it anyway. . . :-)

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of