market-farming - edamame

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: edamame
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 10:30:02 -0400

I bought my soybeans from Johnny's. I bought two "fresh" eating types. As
opposed to dry bean type. I bought Envy which sould ripen in 75 days and
Butterbeans which should ripen in 90 days.
I planted according to the instructions 6-10 seeds per foot or about every 2
inches. The directions say in rows about 15-30 inches apart I only did a
single 100ft row of each and they are 36 inches apart.
I do not thin the plants but let whatever grew grow. They sort of hold each
other up.
I do not know what the retail price would be mine are for my CSA members.
But I would be willing to bet that there is not a lot offered at my area
farmers markets and if I retailed there I could price what I wanted. A
local store carries frozen edamame for about 1.60 for 8-16oz. I don't
remember? So say $1.60lb. I would use that as a loose guide and increase
it maybe to $2-$3lb. because its a novelty and a tastey one at that. Would
I strip them off the plant or not I don't know.
Good luck
Beth

  • Edamame, John Hendrickson, 07/16/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>