market-farming - edamame, watermelons, and dirty fingernails

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: edamame, watermelons, and dirty fingernails
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 08:22:01 -0400

Hi list, I get the list in digest form so I am bunching my comments together
as it seems when you get digest. I LOL at the clean vs. dirty fingernails.
I suppose Marj could be right and she wears gloves. I never wear gloves,
too many hours in the dirt and heat, gloves are too hot. My fingers don't
work as well in gloves. Be an interesting survey how many farmers bother
with gloves? I did buy some in case I want to work where there are prickly
plants but haven't so far. So hence my hands look like a car mechanic
actually a farmer but "no one" knows what they look like :).

Edamame I grew it last year (not much) on the request of a CSA member. When
they were ripe I cooked a little bowl each pick up day. Then set people
home with two ripped up plants (they could remove beans themselves). They
were a hugh hit. People are asking did you grow them again this year. Yup
only two 100 ft rows which is more than double last year. Two varieities
from Johnny's. Envy 75 days and Butterbeans 90 days. Its the butter ones I
grew last year. Tried the Envys because they are supposed to be ready
earlier. I will harvest the entire plant like last year and have members
take the plant and remove their own beans way less work for me.

Watermelons thanks for the rippening tips. Fingers crossed our watermelon
plants look ok. If so it will be the first harvest of any respectability in
4 years.
Good luck to all toiling in the fields :).
Beth