market-farming - Re: market-farming one-upsmanship

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming one-upsmanship
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 09:56:31 -0400

I remember when nobody on the street locked their doors, every house was safe to go to if a kid needed help and mom and dad weren't home, the whole neighborhood came to our backyard plays and ate up Mom's excess zucchinis without complaining. If there were extra faces at the table at any of my old neighborhood's houses at supper time not a word was ever said except "move over and get another plate" -- no questions, no judgements. The weird old lady on one side of the block had been everybody's elementary school principal and we loved her; the weird old man on the other side had delivered mail to the neighborhood for fifty years and he was everybody's favorite uncle.

I remember the whole school being marched to the second floor hallway and sat on the floor to watch John Glenn's orbit broadcast on the building's one black and white TV. We had one at home but lots of kids didn't.

I remember going to my cousin's other grandmother's house in Mount Morris 30 miles away and listening to the Lone Ranger on the radio because she didn't have a TV.

I also remember practicing "duck and cover" right next to the big glass wall reinforced with chicken wire.

I was cutting out a dress in Home Ec class in 8th grade when Kennedy was shot.

I remember when the Millenium was something that might happen within my lifetime if I lived longer than my father had. Didn't expect to be so young when it happened!

By the time Mozart was my age, he had.... (scroll down for answer)

....been dead for many years.

PS -- we had a touch of frost here too on July 2/3. I just lost a few plants up in the nursery area where it collected. Love that new garden on the slope where the wind blows! Saw a slug tumbling over the rocks and actually clapped my hands at the sight. I think it was an empty shell but it warmed my heart all the same.

PPS -- I have just discovered Tiger Balm Liniment. Been using their salve for years. I am walking almost without pain today thanks to this stuff! Swelling in my knee is way down and I'm going to get the lettuce harvested!

Dori Doing Just Fine Thanks All Things Considered Green
Ash Grove Community Farm & Center for Sustainable Living
Corning, NY

http://www.ic.org/agrove