market-farming - goats

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: wakely11 AT swbell.net
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: goats
  • Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2001 17:51:38 -0700

Dori,

Exhausted again after reading your e-mail but I stay exhausted in
this business. Lost some of my seedlings to reading the directions
wrong on the fertilizer package, had an influx of little green worms in
the greenhouse that managed to chow down before I discovered them, then
came the red spiders. We got 5-6 inches of rain in two days that
flooded out some of my flowers in the field and now we haven't had rain
in a month. Did I mention the cows got loose in my field? You gotta
have a can do attitude to be in this business and you've got it.

Had and incident near here the other day concerning goats I wanted
to share. The people that live down the road got some little goats and
enclosed them in a horse wire fence (spaces are about 6 X 8) with an
electric wire about 2 feet from the bottom. As I drove by I saw a pack
of pet dogs and the fence in a huddle right up next to the fence and
they appeared to be fighting. When I got out and started yelling it
became apparent that one of them had grabbed the little goat by the face
and ear and was trying to pull her through the fence. She was crying
pitifully. She swung around and one of the dogs bit her several times
in the side. I couldn't get to any of them because the area where the
dogs were was enlcosed as well. Knocked on the owner's door and no one
responded so I left a note. Coming home from work that night I saw that
the goat was dead. I wheeled into the owner's drive and knocked on the
door. When she came to the door I asked if she knew she had a dead
#**## goat and she said she just noticed it. Won't repeat everything I
said about being a responsible animal owner but she got the message.
Point is, it never occurred to me that the wire she was using was too
large and that dogs would try to pull an animal through. Hope all of
you that have small animals have wire that can't be reached through.
Looking back I wish I'd taken the poor, little thing to the vet--had no
idea it would bleed to death since the wounds didn't look that
horrifying.

Nancy Wakely
Grand Canadian Farm

  • goats, wakely11, 07/03/2001