market-farming - Re: Advertising the Farmers' Market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Liz Pike" <liz AT marketfarming.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Advertising the Farmers' Market
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 22:20:14 -0400

> >Logo contest. Not a bad idea..
>
> Not really a good idea either.
>
> There is an easier way to get customers - advertise.

I thought the whole point to this WAS to advertise--but to make judicious
use of $$ in getting a "picture" to brand the ad.

I agree with Jeffrey, advertising is a gamble for individual farms. But for
Farmer's Markets, I think it's a necessity (and pyo). People are always
looking to confirm times open/close, crop availability, etc, just like they
do for movies, grocery stores, etc.

Today our local paper had the first ad in it for the farmer's market that's
opening this Saturday for the season. The ad caught my eye because it
contained a simple clip art drawing of a farm stand surrounded with bushel
baskets. The baskets contained various crops, but the detail wasn't
important as the "picture" said it all--I noticed it before the writing.

Liz Pike
Laughing Brook Farm
Westfield NC
http://marketfarming.net/laughingbrook/