market-farming - Re: Bio-degradable paper mulch

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <awiediger AT HART.k12.ky.us>
  • To: 'Market Farming' <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Bio-degradable paper mulch
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 07:58:32 -0500

We use a black paper product in our high tunnel growing and love it - but
it's not subjected to the wind like it would be outdoors. And, it's no
longer available in commercial sizes. And, what is available (home garden
sizes) is treated with an anti-microbial to make it last a little longer and
cannot be used on organic farms. We read about a trial of something new in
paper mulches in "Growing for Market" an issue or two ago. They are

treating a kraft type paper with vegetable oil to retard decomposition.
That might really work and we are anxiously awaiting results. We really do
like being able to till in the paper when the crop is finished.

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

> From: Bill Shoemaker[SMTP:wshoemak AT inil.com]
>
> I've looked at paper mulch from several different sources in research
> plots. I don't think you'll get rid of headaches with it. You'll just have
> different ones.

  • Re: Bio-degradable paper mulch, Wiediger, Alison, 05/11/2001