market-farming - Sundays

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Aufdenkampe Family Farm <ddovala AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Sundays
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 16:35:10 -0700 (PDT)

Liz wrote- Anyone else out there open their
on-farm stands on Sundays?? The traffic here starts very early as we're
just 15 minutes from 2 state parks with hiking & bridle trails. Lots of
motorcycle groups too. Wracking my brain as to what to grow/sell that will
appeal to this particular market.

Hi Liz. We have a stand in front of the farm and are open every Sunday, it is one of the two busiest days at the stand (Saturday being the other). There is a park a stone throws away from us and so we also get the same type of traffic that you do. You may also find you will get bicycle clubs going by too.  The motorcycle groups will buy anything they can strap to there bike or the rider can carry. The bicyclists tend to want to buy small quantities of fruit to eat right in the parking lot, or sit in a grassy area and rest and eat.  When there are special events at the park we have to get extra help on Sundays because of so much new traffic coming to the event.  We try to have educational hand outs with our name/address/website, so that when the new people who happen by because they were going to the park event get home, they will have something to remember us by.

We are open 7 days a week, if one of the main characters (myself, brother or father) needs a day off we take it, we just make sure that not everyone takes the same day off! I figure I get time off in the winter, since I work an off farm job only part time in the winter, so I don't feel too sorry for myself.  It's the name of the game. I agree that you can't really plan when the plants need your attention, or when the weather won't allow you to work.  Our non-relative help works 8-4:30 or 7-3:30 (depending on the temperature) 5 days a week, and when harvest season starts big time they work Saturday and/or Sunday 8-12 noon, when we ask them, they only pick things for the stand usually on those days.  They take other days off also...by just not showing up to work...it used to be upsetting but no matter what we have tried it continues to be a pattern, so I just don't worry about it anymore.  They are good hard workers and they usually don't all not show up at the same time...except today...(at least it wasn't a Sunday in the middle of the summer).

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Auctions - Click and bid on cool stuff like Dave Matthews Band Tickets & more!

  • Sundays, Aufdenkampe Family Farm, 05/07/2001