market-farming - Re: Cabbage looper spray

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Mmneedham AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Cabbage looper spray
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 14:04:03 EDT

Hi,

I have time cuz I'm a wannabe!  I have only the instructions; not the
rebuttal, but here's what I have:

Here is a recipe from Dr. Geoff Zehnder, an entomologist at Auburn
University, who found it more effective against cabbage loopers, diamondback
moth larvae, and imported cabbageworms than any of the standard chemical
treatments:

2 tablespoons ground red pepper (he used McCormick's)
6 drops Ivory dishwashing detergent*
1 gallon water

Mix and let sit overnight. Then mix again and strain before using. Apply
undiluted.

*You will have to use soap or some approved surfactant if you are certified
organic. Most agencies prohibit detergents.