market-farming - Re: blackberry vinegar

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Del Williams" <delannw AT dlogue.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: blackberry vinegar
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:58:45 -0500

By the way, each of these vinegars makes for a very interesting marinade for
chicken, duck, or venison.
As a base in a dressing for fruit salad, it is excellent. The drink recipe
is at the end.
Finally, the sweetener (sugar) is entirely optional. But you will get a
different result.

Recipe 1: (for a thicker and pretty elegant Blackberry Vinegar)

2 cups fresh blackberries
2 tablespoons sugar (leave it out or adjust for sweetness of berries)
2 cups white whine vinegar or champagne vinegar

1. Stir the blackberries and sugar together in a non-reactive pan and heat
on low .
Stir to mix.
(This takes a few minutes to warm the mixture at a very low heat.)

2. Pour berry-sugar mixture into a glass jar
(I use large commercial pickle jars) or bowl. Add the vinegar.
Stir to combine ingredients.
Or mash with a potato masher to release juice from berries.
Cover bowl completely with plastic wrap or place a single layer of
plastic wrap on the jar and then screw on the lid.

3. Stir the mixture once every two or three days.

3. In two weeks, stir the mixture and then strain the mixture through a
cheesecloth or sieve (to remove seeds).
Then strain again through coffee or tea filters (for a very clear vinegar).

4. Bottle in sterilized bottles. Cap. If refrigerated, will keep for up
to 12-months.

Recipe 2: Blackberry Vinegar

4 quarts of blackberries (2 quarts the 1st day, 2 quarts on the 3rd day)
1 quart cider vinegar
(I use Braggs. DO NOT use a store-bought - like Heinz - cider vinegar.
It is nothing more than white vinegar with coloring and flavorings)
Sugar (1 cup or more for a sweet vinegar and 2 TBS or less for a less sweet
vinegar)

1. Place 2 quarts of blackberries in an enamel or stainless steel pan
or a large glass bowl or jar(mash them up a bit with a potato masher).
Add 1 quart cider vinegar. Cover and let stand in a dark cool place for
2 days.

2. On the 3rd day (although I admit I've let this go for almost a week
before step 2)
Strain through cheesecloth or a sieve to get the seeds out.
Return to the pan, bowl or jar and add 2 quarts of blackberries.
Cover and let stand in dark cool place for 2 days.

3. On the 5th day, stain the mixture again.
Place in a stainless steel or enamel pan.
Add the sugar and stir to mix. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10
minutes.

4. skim any foam off the top. Cool and bottle.
Refrigerate for up to 1 year. Stored in a cool, dark cupboard it is
good for about 6 months.

Recipe 3:

Crushed ice
Blackberry Vinegar
Carbonated Water

Place crushed ice in a glass.
Pour 3 tablespoons of blackberry vinegar over the ice.
Fill rest of glass with carbonated water to taste.
(You can also pour enough blackberry vinegar over the
ice to fill the glass. It depends on how sweet or strong
you like your drink.)
*I would imagine that a splash of vodka would make this
an interesting drink as well.