market-farming - New and young farmer survey

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Amy K. Johnson" <akjedj AT gamewood.net>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: New and young farmer survey
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 22:51:47 -0400

The Farm Credit System Foundation is conducting an internet survey about
bariers faced by new farmers (10 yrs. or less) and/or young farmers
(18-38?). Since this is one of those "Conventional" type ag conglomerates
and I'm sure it won't be advertised in any "alternative" ag publication, I
thought it would be interesting to have some "alternative" farmers fill
out the survey. You never know, it might change someone's thinking. It has
one spot where you can write about what you think about what change in
farm policy would help you the most.

The survey is at http://www.fccouncil.com/FCSfound/newpage1.htm

Obviously, if you think it's too invasive, don't fill it out. I found it
to be reasonable, no major personal data asked for.

I read about it in a farming newspaper I get that is primarily for
conventional ag. called Country Folks Farm Chronicle. It's full of
references to the Young Farmers organization which is full of traditional
farmer-types (grain, livestock), which probably face a lot of the same
issues we market farmers do: lack of capital, need to find new markets or
more innovative methods, need to make/keep operation a success, etc. I
wish there was more cooperation between these traditional organizations
and "alternative" ag. We're not wackkos out on the fringe, just more
innovative! When all is said and done, both groups want the same thing;
successful, economically viable ag. operations. We just have different
methods to try to achieve our goals. And of course, successful means
different things to different people. (Why do I feel like I just described
political parties?)

Anyway, I thought their survey needed my input.

Amy
Johnsons' Produce Patch
Long Island, VA