market-farming - Re: hoophouse partition

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "wiediger" <wiediger AT msn.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: hoophouse partition
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 10:33:08 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Amy K. Johnson" <akjedj AT gamewood.net>

> Another thing I've been wondering is if I were to get a large hoophouse
> for season extension 14-22'x96', would it be feasible to partition off one
> end and heat it in order to start transplants. Seems like it would work.

We have a number of hoophouses that are 20x96. We rely on natural
ventilation rather than on exhaust fans or haf fans for air flow and
circulation. We also grow organically, so we try to encourage the best air
flow in order to control any fungal problems. If you are growing this way,
I would recommend that you partition off a side of the hoophouse, rather
than an end. Partitioning off an end will interfere with through air flow
in the frame. Perhaps another option would be to purchase a frame with roll
up sides, then you could partition an end.

Paul Wiediger
Au Naturel Farm
http://aunaturelfarm.homestead.com
.

  • Re: hoophouse partition, wiediger, 03/29/2001