market-farming - Re: preventing tear in plastic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: preventing tear in plastic
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 07:18:58 -0800

Hi Rick, the University of Illinois Small Fruit and Strawberry School suggests using popsicle sticks when stapling the plastic down for row covers. This method has worked for us but we used the prunings from our cherry trees instead. There was an out of the ordinary extreme wind-rain/snow storm yesterday and our covers held up just fine. I'm not sure but you may be able to incorporate something similar for your hoop house.

From: robokopp AT acronet.net
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 08:29:53 cst

Rick
Am contemplating constructing one of those unheated hoophouses from the North Carolina Extension bulletin. What tips are there for securing the plastic to the baseboard so it doesn't rip or tear?