market-farming - heating small building

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HackettShark AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu (market Framing)
  • Subject: heating small building
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 19:59:50 EST

Here in southern Iowa it can get pretty cold at night , last night it was
only 25 howerver the night before last it got down to 12 degrees so electric
heaters just would not be able to do much to keep it from freezing in there.
I have been using a no-vented heater in one of our cold frames that just
happens to be 12 x 24.  The heater I'm using is like a nipco type heater,
forced air type, it has been working just OK but I would recomend if you are
going to use this building every year that you invest in a good vent heater
like a modine or of that kind.  They are more efficent and a lot better on
the plants.  I'm very careful what I put in this building, for example cold
crops don't need a lot of heat so they have been working good there, but have
tried some herbs that wasn't doing good and moved back to the other building.

We don't have any real big greenhouses, the longest being 50' X 20'  and many
times I pull the benches out and grow in the ground in the winter, can
control my winter growing better in the ground.  In the summer they son't get
quite as hot so we can grow more cut flowers and have them ready for sale all
summer, and same goes for the fresh cut herbs that we sell.

Phil from Iowa

  • heating small building, HackettShark, 03/27/2001