market-farming - Re: Freezing temperatures/Cold frames

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Joan Vibert <joan AT windwalker-farm.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Freezing temperatures/Cold frames
  • Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:22:33 -0600

That's a good question Del, we're not much ahead of you. This isn't
actually a market its sponsored by the Kansas City Fool Circle and was
originally set up two years ago as a pre-introduction of consumers and
organic growers in the general area. That year it was mostly pr with a few
peddler items thrown in. Last year we had such a warm winter and early
spring that there were several booths heaped with greens and over wintered
items like sweet potatoes, garlic, etc.. I, again, attended with pr in mind
and our coop salsa and some seedlings. This year I think we were all duped
into thinking we could have abundance if we just started early enough and I
know that talking to some other growers we all have the same puny broccoli,
kale, chard seedlings. Mine aren't even big enough to plant yet its been so
bad.

To follow this event we had voted last fall to open our market on April 15,
basing that decision on last year when we didn't open until May 20 and lost
sales from bolted lettuces and all. So the early starts weren't going to be
a waste - but- thankfully we have moved the opening back to May 5 and that's
more in line with this year's weather.

So in the meantime - I've paid for a $30 table and would like to come out of
there with some money next Saturday. I don't even have respectable enough
seedlings to take right now but as I ready the gardens I note the green
garlic that pops up in inappropriate places and anything else that might be

marketable. I looked this week end and don't even have wild greens yet,
unless they'd like to buy big handfulls of chickweed from the hoop house.
We actually will add chickweed to salads but I think it would be too
recognizable and identified as a weed!

It will be interesting. I'll just spend Friday cleaning my lettuces. Our
snow has been moved to tomorrow.

joan
windwalker farm
ottawa, kansas