market-farming - Manure and E-Coli

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kathy Somers" <SomersFarm AT kingcon.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Manure and E-Coli
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:18:30 -0500

Hi Everyone,
I was talking to my husband about the issues raised on this news letter in regard to E-Coli and Proper handleing of Manure.

I agree that the E-coli probably came from improper processing of the lettuce and sprouts.  He told me that a while back NPR had a commentary about this issue. In the bigger states where beef cows are fed mostly a grain diet.  (Feed Lot animals)  There is a big chance that E-coli could be a problem in the manure.  If these farmers according to the Public Radio would feed hay for 2-3 weeks prior to butchering, the e-coli would be absorbed into the hay.  However this would not fix the problem of the manure.

How many growers though.....especially ones large or small that have any sense of organics whatsoever on thier mind, would get manure from such a feedlot to put on thier gardens?  I doubt many!!!

I would also be interested to know who is percipitating this food inspection in the government.  The vegetables and fruit are so laden with pesticides in the grocery store, it would be pretty hard to think they were going to start testing for all of this stuff, along with E-Coli.

Kathy in Vermont

PS   I just can not believe we are getting more snow dumped on us.  It has been a long time since we have had a winter like this one!!