market-farming - Organic seed starting mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana Gutierrez" <gutierrez-lagatta AT home.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Organic seed starting mix
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:43:27 -0600

I believe that in addition to the wetting agents some of the starting
mixes have some fertilizers mixed in. According to information in the
SARE site you can sometimes special order mix from the big companies
with the wetting agents and fertilizers left out. I met an organic
herb grower this past weekend who was using a Scott's starting mix
which she said had them omitted.

> >I would be surprised if Pro Mix was organic approved, but I am not
familiar
> >with the product. My assumption is that commercial mixes have a
wetting
> >agent in them which makes the product prohibited for organic
production.

  • Organic seed starting mix, Adriana Gutierrez, 03/19/2001