market-farming - Greenhouse

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kathy Somers" <SomersFarm AT kingcon.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Greenhouse
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 17:35:04 -0500

Hi,
I am growing some pepper transplants inside my house under lights.  I noticed Friday night that one or two of the pepper leaves had chew holes in them.  I would say the holds are about the size of a pencil.  I sprayed the plants with insecticidal soap.  Today I noticed a few more plants with holes.  I have used a magnifying glass to see what it might be but as of yet have not found anything.  Also on the underside of a few pepper leaves I can see these noticable bumps.  They are green in color and the underside is plastered with them. When I look at the bumps with the magnifying glass, they almost seem to have a silvery sheen to them.  Not all of them.  When I poke the bump with a toothpick, the leaf easily gets a hole in it and it seems really wet. I have looked in all of my bug books, but am not really sure what this is.  I put a yellow sticky trap beside the worst plants today, and it almost looks like these very tiny tiny black bugs.  I am not sure if it is potting soil flakes or bugs.  They are pretty tiny.

Any sugguestions and if you might know what they are, how can I get rid of them?

Kathy in Vermont

  • Greenhouse, Kathy Somers, 03/18/2001