market-farming - Re: compost

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Jill Taylor Bussiere" <jdt AT itol.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: compost
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 07:34:44 -0600

How is this rule in other states?  How closely are you who are organic monitored when it comes to proper composting of manure etc:    Kathy

Kathy,
    We are organic, not certified - under $5000.  I use a little bit of cold composted manure and bedding - that left for a year. My animals are wormed with diatamaceous earth.  My animals are fed organic grains which come from an organic grain mill across the state.  The fellow that owns it is most knowledgeable about nutrition and rations, and my animals have been thriving since I started using it many years ago.  But mostly, I use earthworm castings.  The African earthworms are fed Wisconsin bog dirt and a bit of grains. The red wrigglers are fed garden and kitchen scraps, as well as an occasional treat of manure.  In addition I use azomite, sea kelp, and greensand for amendments.  I also sow legume cover crops.
    I am starting to make compost using the hot compost method, but am not confident that I have it down - I am trying to make some compost and then strain it for my African earthworms - to see whether that will work for them.  I haven't tried giving it to them  yet.

                        Jill

  • compost, Kathy Somers, 03/17/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: compost, Jill Taylor Bussiere, 03/18/2001