market-farming - Organic Potting Mix

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: OakCamp AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Organic Potting Mix
  • Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2001 12:11:11 EST

In a message dated 3/16/01 8:14:45 PM Central Standard Time, kampy AT grm.net
writes:

<< I have been making my own mix with one part leaf mulch, one part sandy
dirt
and one part peat moss. I put everything through a screen and it seems to
do OK, but not great. What am I leaving out? How do you make yours? >>

Hi Marie,

Our soil mix is based on Eliot Coleman's blocking mix (The New Organic grower
ISBN 0-930031-75-X)

4 buckets brown peat moss
1 cup lime MIX
1 bucket perlite
1 bucket vermiculite
2 buckets compost
1 cup blood meal
1 cup greensand
1 cup bone meal MIX

I don't sterilize the mix and have never had a problem with damping off. If
you have it, coarse sand can be added to the mix, too.

HTH,

Barbara Birkinbine
Oak Camp Herb Farm, OCIA cert. organic
OakCamp AT aol.com

  • Organic Potting Mix, OakCamp, 03/17/2001