market-farming - Problems starting Plants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Adriana Gutierrez" <gutierrez-lagatta AT home.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Problems starting Plants
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 01:19:44 -0600

>I thought maybe some one on this list might have some insights of
what
>might be going wrong and what I might need to do to get some of my
stuff
>going, especially those early tomatoes. I think I have taken
adequate
>precautions with sanitation, fertilization, and temperature control

This month's OG mentions that they have now proven that there are some
herbicides which are surviving ingestion by cattle and composting and
are showing up in compost in sufficient quantities to kill seedlings.
One commercial compost maker that was affected found that, although
they tested their finished product for residual herbicides the
laboratory tests used by their labs were not sufficiently narrow to
detect it. So this points up to an even greater need to be sure that
the animals from which manure is obtained have been pastured on
untreated fields.

Adriana Gutierrez
Birmingham