market-farming - tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Kathy Somers" <SomersFarm AT kingcon.com>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: tomatoes
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:10:05 -0500

Hi,
I have some tomato plants growing in the greenhouse.  They are maybe 5 weeks old.  I noticed that the top of the tomato plant where the new leaves are coming are on the pale side.  Am I right to assume this may be a calcium problem.  They are not in pots but have just been transplanted into grow boxes in to the greenhouse, which they will stay in.  (I am experimenting!)  They are maybe reaching a foot tall and also are starting to bud.  I am thinking I should take these buds off and give them a chance to get taller and have a better root system before I allow them to flower.

Also, I have pepper plants the same age and they are starting to form buds.  I have read that by taking the first buds off the pepers will produce more peppers at a later time in much larger quantities.  Has anyone done this.

I have foliar sprayed with fish emulsion and Sea Com seaweed from Johnny's.

Thanks

Kathy

  • tomatoes, Kathy Somers, 03/15/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: tomatoes, Jill Taylor Bussiere, 03/15/2001