market-farming - Re: PVC pipe as tomato stakes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Brian and Jacqueline Potzkai" <potzkai AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: PVC pipe as tomato stakes
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 05:29:28 -0800

Hi Willi, I ran out of stakes last year and used PVC, slipping was a problem. While letting off some steam in the shed I noticed my research work and the paper clips on it - took the clips to the garden, and it worked. To make it go faster I cut about 200 - 2foot lenths of twine, set a loop on each end and tied a paper clip to the other end and placed them all on a wire hook ( the paper clips get snagged if you just bundle them), then I wrapped the wire around my waist and went to it. The twine hoop gets tied to the tomato plant and then hook the clip onto the top of the pvc pipe. Good luck, Jacqueline

Oh by the way you have to use the heavy clip that is used for 50+ pages and they can't be reused next year because rust sets in. you may also want to check with a local sawmill they give wood salvage away for free.