market-farming - Maple Syrup

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Hook Family" <guldann AT ix.netcom.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Maple Syrup
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 05:31:56 -0500

Enjoyed reading all the posts about farm stands. Kathy from Vermont
mentioned getting ready to tap trees. We are in zone 5 Massachusetts and
tapped our trees about Feb. 20 but then it got cold so sap didn't run too
much. Its warmed up a bit, just when hubby had hernia surgery so the burden
of sap collection goes to you know who. My 17 year old son is reluctantly
although fairly cheerfully helping me. We have boiled about 6 times. We've
opened to the public twice so far will be open this weekend as well. We
charge $1.00 for the "tour" Peek into a bucket dripping sap, put your
finger in sap and lick. Get info about history of syruping actually it was
sugaring (hence the term). The Native American and colonists were
interested in making maple sugar. It wasn't until cane sugar got popular
and cheap that syrup became popular. Then the folks come to the sugar house
and watch sap boil. Most notice how good it smells, the sweet steam and the
fire. Most ask questions. Most buy syrup :). So far $114, we are going to
be rich, ok cost of building, cost of evaporators, cost of bottles, ok break
even in 20 yrs :). Beth were much snow remains but it is thawing.

  • Maple Syrup, Hook Family, 03/14/2001