market-farming - Re: market-farming Tenants Oy

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Dori Green" <dorigreen00 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: market-farming Tenants Oy
  • Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 09:25:30 -0500

Jacqueline, my uncle has had bypass surgery several times and he's a hale and hearty and catankerous almost-80 now. Heart medicine is truly amazing today. My prayers will be with you and your family anyway, of course!

I'm building good working relationships with a couple of nearby farmers and my days of taking in resident community farm members may well be over. At least these guys didn't trash my place the literal way the previous ones did, though I'm still finding places where they let their kids scribble on the walls with permanent markers and didn't scrub up behind them.

If I do ever take in housemates again, it's going to be with the same rules I have to follow when I rent a room so I can work in Jersey -- a solid monthly rate and a month and a half security deposit plus the first month in full before anybody moves in. If I decide I need help, I'll just hire it. It was a great idea to try to help people by sharing my home, but I've been walked on just once too many times. It is completely true that no good deed ever goes unpunished. I'm putting my energy into taking care of myself and my animal family from now on.

If anybody here ever thinks of opening their home to housemates, toss their names past me and I'll let you know if you should run like hell.

Dori Green
Ash Grove Community Farm & Center for Sustainable Living
Corning, NY

http://www.ic.org/agrove/index.htm