market-farming - Re: seed potatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Boulder Belt Organics <goodows AT infinet.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: seed potatoes
  • Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2001 06:49:44 -0500

mhbraun AT facstaff.wisc.edu wrote:

> hi all,
> appreciate all the mail on staking tomatoes...so much great info.
>
> also have questions regarding organic potatoes. if i understand the
> standards, then organic seed potatoes must be used, IF AVAILABLE. i am
> finding very few sources for organic seed potatoes, but haven't found any
> sources for my favorite & usual pick, kennebec.
>
> anyone have a source? if not, does this mean i can use conventionally
> grown kennebec and call them organic?
>
> thanks for any assistance!
>
> Marcy Braun
> Gourmet Garden
> Madison, WI
>
>Marcy,

What you do is contact your certifier and ask that person. Remember the
USDA organic regs do not go into effect for about 18 months so for now
you go by the rules you have lived with up to now. When in doubt about a
certification ASK YOUR CERTIFIER, not a list serve, unless you want to
get decertified due to bad information (not that i am saying the info on
this list is bad, it is usually excellent) there are over 40 certifier
right now and each has slightly different regs. in Ohio it is acceptable
to use non certified spuds when you can't find any certified. We started
saving our own seed potatoes to get rid of that problem.

Lucy Goodman-Owsley
Boulder Belt Organics
New Paris, OH