market-farming - Some things to share:

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marlin L Burkholder <gleneco1 AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Some things to share:
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 21:29:24 -0500

Recently I've been reading the autobiography of Maria Von Trapp and the
Von Trapp Singers (the Austrian singing family whose story forms the
basis of the movie "Sound of Music".

The Von Trapps had enjoyed a life of prosperity in their Austrian home
land prior to World War II. Georg Von Trapp had been a distinguished
captain in the Austrian navy and the family had become well known for
it's musical talents, giving musical performances first in Austria, then
in other parts of Europe prior to their having to flee Nazi oppression in
Austria when Hitler invaded the country. Much of their wealth was lost
when they left and they later came to this country with the assistance of
a friend who sponsored their passage and helped them to get bookings for
musical performances in the USA.

While on one of their tours soon after their arrival, when the family was
basically living out of suitcases and struggling to make ends meet, Maria
Von Trapp was told by one of her new found friends, "You are so poor!".
Maria responded, "I am not poor. I just don't have much money."

How many of us can identify with that!

*******

I just saw the following story in the "Community Farm" newletter and
can't resist retelling it despite the fact that many of you probably get
the newsletter and have already seen it.

James Bender, in his book "How to Talk Well"(McGraw Hill Book Co, Inc,
1994) relates this story:

There was a farmer who consistently grew award winning corn. Each year
he would enter it in the state fair where it always would win a blue
ribbon. One year a newspaper reporter interviewed him and learned that
he shared seed corn with his neighbors. He asked, "How can you afford to
share your best seed corn with your neighbors when they are entering corn
in competition with yours each year?"

"Why sir," answered the farmer, "didn't you know? The wind picks up the
pollen from the ripening corn and blows it from field to field. If my
neighbors grow inferior corn, cross pollination from theirs will steadily
degrade the quality of my corn. If I am to grow good corn, I must help
my neighbors to grow good corn."

So it is with life. Those who want to live in peace must help their
neighbors to live in peace. Those who choose to live well must help
others to live well, for the value of a life is measured by the lives it
touches. And those who seek to be happy must help others to find
happiness for the welfare of each is connected to the welfare of all.

The lesson for each of us is this: If we are to grow good corn, we must
help our neighbors to grow good corn. :>)

(from the Nebraska Sustainable Agriculture Society Newsletter, Nov 2000)

********

And finally I want to share this website with those of you who may find
it interesting: www.MRN.org/FFFI It is the result of some efforts being
made by members of Franconia Mennonite Conference to enable food
producers and food consumers who care about the spiritual and moral
significance of what they do to network with and support one another.

Marlin Burkholder

" Concerning most controversial issues, the truth is to be found
somewhere between what the extremists on either end are shouting, and is
usually spoken quietly and with conviction. It is up to us to find that
truth and to act upon it."

"'Truth' is 'truth' regardless of whether or not you, or I, or anyone
else, will believe it."

"Do not my friend, apply to me the labels 'conservative', 'moderate', or
'liberal'. I only ask you to allow me to be conservative when I need to
be conservative and to be liberal when I need to be liberal."

(authors unknown)
from the central Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

  • Some things to share:, Marlin L Burkholder, 01/29/2001