market-farming - Re: cow/pasture ratio- Liz

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Sue <swtgrssfrm AT nls.net>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: cow/pasture ratio- Liz
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 08:32:53 -0500

Liz,
sorry for the delay in getting back to you on how many cows per acre. I
had to check
with my resident 'cowboy'. He said it depends on the quality of pasture but
generally
you could have 3-4 per acre on a rotational grazing program.
I know we have roughly 60 acres in pasture with about 20 pregnant cows,
calves and a
bull. We sold 15 beeves this year and had enough hay to feed my 4 horses, 4
goats,
small flock of sheep, winter hay for the cows and have enough to sell.
I hope things go well for in aquiring your new farm. I am always so happy
to hear
about farms staying farms rather than turning into a development which is
happening all
around us. Are you looking in a specific area of the country? We have some
beautiful
farmland around us that is for sale.

  • Re: cow/pasture ratio- Liz, Sue, 01/11/2001