market-farming - Re: banana republic

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: John Hendrickson <jhendric AT facstaff.wisc.edu>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: banana republic
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 09:30:33 -0600

Robert writes: "I hope midwestern folks will forgive me but as I see it
most all
innovation in small farming is taking place along the east and west
coasts of the USA"

I respectfully disagree! A few bits of evidence:

Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa have some of the highest concentrations of CSA
farms in the country, comparable to both coasts and
emerging only a couple years after CSA first emerged in the US.
We are host to the country's largest organic farming conference (the Upper
Midwest Organic Farming Conference).
The Dane County Farmers Market is one of the largest in the nation and many
others in the region are thriving.
Wisconsin is home to a large and thriving organic dairy cooperative.
The Michael Fields Agricultural Institute in East Troy Wisconsin is a
leader in promoting biodynamic agriculture and gardening. Organizations
such as the Leopold Center in Iowa and the Land Stewardship Project in
Minnesota are leaders in helping to building local food systems, promote
sustainable farming practices, and assist small farms.
There are many interesting and unique value added enterprises and marketing
cooperatives emerging or thriving.
Midwest consumers are increasingly looking to buy fresh, local produce and
reconnect with their agricultural roots which in many
cases are much closer (in time and emotion) than for folks on the coasts
who may be several generations removed from the farm

Offered in the spirit of letting everyone know that we're in this together
and we all have things to contribute.

-John
John Hendrickson
Center for Integrated Agricultural Systems
University of Wisconsin-Madison
US mail: 1450 Linden Drive
Street address: 1535 Observatory Drive
Madison, Wisconsin 53706
phone: (608) 265-3704
fax: (608) 265-3020
email: jhendric AT facstaff.wisc.edu
www.wisc.edu/cias/

  • Re: banana republic, John Hendrickson, 01/10/2001