market-farming - Re: market-farming Working CSA Shares

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Robert Farr <rbfarr AT erols.com>
  • To: market farming <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: market-farming Working CSA Shares
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 06:48:32 -0500

Crystal:

I think the only way any of us can make money farming is to create a
value-added product. My wife and I grow chile peppers - we picked more
than 200,000 last year - but don't sell produce. Instead, we
manufacture hot sauce and salsa (and a few other things, like mustards
and bbq sauce). We made virtually nothing in 2000 - we had lots of
"start-up" expenses, like food processors, a trade show booth (for wine
festivals and other fairs), and certification fees - but should make
quite a bit this year, as we should not have these recurring expenses.

Next, I'll push into retail, because doing 30 fairs a year will kill
ya! (BTW, we also have events at the farm - two last year; four this
year. They are very profitable, though it takes some money - like a
direct mail piece - to get people to come. Our snail mail list is over
1,200 people, so it can get pretty pricey. We also have an e-mail list
of around 800 - much cheaper!)

I don't see how any of us can make it selling produce - competing
against the overseas market with its exceptionally cheap labor. That
said, I am going to try and sell some of our "extra" produce at a local
farm market! Don't know I'll make much dough, but I see it as a way to
not let things go to waste. I still remember the year I had to add 39
heads of Mascara lettuce to the compost pile!

How many of you are moving to - or trying to move to - value-added?

--
Robert Farr
(540) 668-7160