market-farming - "organic" fire ant control

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "nan and stewart" <stewart AT watervalley.net>
  • To: "market farming" <market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: "organic" fire ant control
  • Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2000 15:17:40 -0000

As a result of many friendly conversations with my local, family owned hardware store (where they will order organic supplies from the back of their catalog and then THEY pay the shipping!) the owner is much more aware of garden poisons.

He recently showed me a brochure about a pyrethrin based fire ant control (powder) with the word organic in title, from a Louisiana company.  I knew the usual warnings about use of pyrethrins in terms of contamination of waterways and death to fish, so I showed him that part on the label.

But we were both wondering if the conventional fire ant poisons are ALSO harmful to fish PLUS humans, earthworms, etc. so that one would still be better off using the "organic" control (which, by the way, the accompanying endorsement pointed out that there are some "non-organic" ingredients) even around farm ponds, than using the ortho type poisons???  So, it would be the lesser of two evils, even though it would kill fish......

I guess that alot of fire ant mounds are around folks' ponds??  I have fire ant mounds in my garden that I can scoop up with shovel and move to another area, rather than use any kind of poison.  I have alot of children visit, so it is of some concern that they not exist in the garden area.

Is there a product out there you have used that is non-toxic, so to speak, to fish, earthworms, etc. and could be used around a pond?  I would suspect one could use a pyrethrin product in a non-watery area?  I haven't used any myself yet on my vegetables (though heaven knows i have felt desperate enough last summer!!!)

I am tickled that the local store is considering stocking and displaying prominently any "organic" products that I give my endorsement to (they really trust me, plus I literally never shop at Walmart and they know I patronize local businesses only, unless ordering from organic type catalogs!)  I told the owner I would consult y'all.

thanks, nan in mississippi