market-farming - Propagation Mats

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Marlin L Burkholder <gleneco1 AT juno.com>
  • To: market-farming AT franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Propagation Mats
  • Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 19:03:57 -0500

Last year I tried spreading an old electric blanket over one of my
geenhouse benches and covering it with a piece of 6 mil plastic. It was
large enough to accomodate easily a dozen flats or more. There was enough
slope to the bench to allow excess water to shed off nicely. The blanket
stayed clean and dry but it didn't work. Apparently the controls were
defective. We plan to try digging another one out of storage and
making sure it is working before we try it in the greenhouse.

I wonder if anyone else has tried this and how it worked for them. Seems
like it should work despite the fact that an electric blanket is not
designed for this application. I would consider investing the $20 - $30
for a new one if I had reasonable confidence it would work. Otherwise I
have no use for one as long as I still have a good wife to crawl in bed
with.

Marlin Burkholder

" Concerning most controversial issues, the truth is to be found
somewhere between what the extremists on either end are shouting, and is
usually spoken quietly and with conviction. It is up to us to find that
truth and to act upon it."

"'Truth' is 'truth' regardless of whether or not you, or I, or anyone
else, will believe it."

"Do not my friend, apply to me the labels 'conservative', 'moderate', or
'liberal'. I only ask you to allow me the freedom to be conservative
when I need to be conservative and to be liberal when I need to be
liberal."

(authors unknown)
from the central Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Glen Eco Farm